Thursday, July 17, 2014

Drake Caggiula out to prove himself



Soon to be junior UND forward Drake Caggiula recently attended the Buffalo Sabres development camp. From all accounts that I have read, it appears that the diminutive forward turned some heads in Buffalo. 

Last season, Caggiula was one of the more physical players in the UND lineup. During one of the media days, I asked Caggiula how much he weighed. Caggiula told me, that he weighed about 175 pounds. Of course I was skeptical. Looking at him, Caggiula looks more like he weighs 150 pounds. Though Caggiula is a small framed player, he plays more like he weighs 190 pounds.

Joe Ray, Beyond the Boards  – Because I didn’t get drafted, it adds a little more fuel to the fire as motivation for myself. I kind of use it to prove people wrong, like, ‘Well, maybe you should have drafted me.’ At this point, it’s over and free agent life isn’t too bad. And here I am at a development camp anyway. It all works out. I’ve just got to keep working hard to get better.

Being small, you’ve got to be strong and you’ve got to be heavy on the puck and all that. Going to college, that definitely gives me a little extra time to develop physically. Being a free agent right now and being a little bit smaller gives me more time to develop and set me up for a bit of a different future.

My freshman year was kind of up-and-down, and I thought last year – my sophomore year – I kind of stepped it up and became a lot more consistent. Obviously I want to do a little bit better than that this coming year and step into a big leadership role there, whether it’s with a letter or not.
Caggiula’s comments should excited UND fan’s going into this season. I think there's a good chance that Caggiula will have a breakout season this year. There were times last year that he was one of the better players on the ice. Caggiula is one of those players that has a lot of offensive imagination and he's able to free defenders with his speed and moves. I don't think a 20-goal season is out of the realm of possibility.

No comments:

Post a Comment